Moving Tips Checklist
A Simple and Easy to Use Must Have Checklist for a Hassle Free Moving Experience
The moving tips checklist below should help you get your family to your new home with everything that you need. Whether you plan a self move, or to hire moving labor services, use this checklist for a stress-free moving experience. Starting as early as possible makes the big day a lot easier too.
Sometimes, the move may be hurried by a quick selling home or sudden job change. But, assuming that this is a planned move, there are a few things that you can do two or three months in advance.
Going through the storage areas is one of them.
Things like Christmas and other holiday decorations will move with you. But, take the time to go through those other boxes and see what you can get rid of. Do you really plan on fixing that broken lamp? Could you donate old clothes and toys? What do you plan to do with those old vinyl LPs?
Keepsakes are important. Everyone has them. You want to be sure that they are packed appropriately and that the boxes are ready to go in the truck when it arrives.
Cleaning and sorting should fill your spare time in the weeks and months leading up to the move.
The items in this next checklist are those things that you need to do, but might forget.
- Schedule time off from work/school if necessary
- Have your mail forwarded—you can do that online ahead of time. The cost is a dollar that will be charged to your credit card. The post office charges that fee primarily to ensure that you are who you say you are.
- Change your address directly—magazines and other periodicals are not always forwarded.
- You should contact your insurance company, your credit card companies, your bank and other important companies that communicate with you by mail.
- Contact the new school—if you have children, you will need to contact the school in your new community. You will also need to go to your child’s current school and request that their transcripts be sent to the new school.
- Reserve a truck or contact the movers—if you are doing the packing and driving yourself, reserve your truck at least two weeks ahead of time and call to verify the reservation a few days later.
- If you plan to use movers, get references and contact the company about a month in advance.
Other items on your moving tips checklist include:
- Acquire boxes and packing material
- Contact the utilities for service disconnection (phone, cable, electric, gas, water, etc)
- Contact the new utility providers for service connection
By being prepared and using this moving tips checklist your move will be a lot easier. Good luck in your new home.
back to top of page
Return from Moving Tips Checklist to the Organized Home
Return from Moving Tips Checklist to Life Organize It